- Enjoy the world-class pasture land scenery of Aso
- Feel the freedom of exploring the Japanese countryside on a bicycle
- Experience the wonder of harvesting vegetables and preparing them for lunch
- Meet local farmers and enjoy meaningful interaction
- Learn about the life-style and traditions that have shaped the culture of Mt. Aso and Minamioguni
Minamioguni is a small town located in the north part of the area surrounding the active volcano Mt. Aso. An area recognized by international organizations such as the World Agriculture Heritage Foundation and UNESCO’s Geopark. In this area, especially in Minamioguni, a culture of combining agriculture with forestry and husbandry has been nurtured for many generations and given birth to a unique and beautiful landscape. This scenery is not only breathtaking but also proof of deep culture and a history of efforts.
This tour will start with a short car ride from the pickup point but after that, our main transportation will be bicycles. First, we gear up at a bicycle shop near Senomoto Resthouse. If you are worried about your physical abilities we can even provide you with an electric bicycle. But most of the ride is downhill so you should be fine either way! First, we will head out towards the wide-open plains of Senomoto highlands with a superb view of the five peaks of Mt. Aso. If we are lucky, we might see some Akaushi cows grazing leisurely in the fields.
As we continue on, we will experience how the landscape changes before our eyes as we head downhill and enter into the distinctive cedar forests that are symbolic for the entire Oguni-area (Minamioguni and Oguni town). As the forest starts to open up, we will find our first stop to refill our stomachs, the atmospheric Gonbe village. Gonbe village, a small B&B/camping site, is run by a lovely elderly couple who also works full time as farmers. We will harvest vegetables, learn how to prepare a classic Japanese lunch, and eat together in this idyllic environment.
Leaving Gonbe village we will continue our downhill path through picturesque rice field landscapes and small pastoral villages. Thanks to the bicycle we can freely explore what captures your interest and there are many sweet spots along our path. Right around 16:00 we will be back in time for the last bus. After dropping off our bikes and having a quick break at the local farmers' market, your guide will see you off to the bust stop where the tour will conclude.
- 08: 30 Meet-up at Kurokawa Onsen Information Center
- ↓Car 〜 10 min
- 08:50 Aso Kuju cycling rental shop
- ↓Cycling (E-bike)
- Spot 1. Grass fields of Se no Moto Highlands
- Spot 2. Japanese cedar forests
- Spot 3. Rice paddies and farm villages
- 10:30 Gonbe Village, farm-to-table experience
- 13:00 Heading out from Gonbe Village
- ↓Cycling (E-bike)
- Spot 1. Mangan-ji area, The origin of Minamioguni
- Spot 2. Akababa area, The most beautiful villages in Japan
- Spot 3. Shimojo Mushroom Farm (Shiitake)
- 16:00 Kiyora Kasa farmers' market, End of tour
|1 person:||42,000 yen p.p|
|2 persons:||34,000 yen p.p|
|3 persons:||30,000 yen p.p|
|4 persons :||28,000 yen p.p|
|5 - 8 persons:||26,000 yen p.p|
- English/Japanese/ Swedish-speaking tour conductor
- Local tax
- Environment preservation fee
Tour does NOT include
- Transportation to and from Minamioguni
＊The tour isn't available during the winter season (December - February)
- This is a basic tour-package assuming you have stayed a night at Kurokawa Onsen. If you are arriving in Minamioguni at the day of the tour or have been staying at a different location, arrangements can be made to fit your circumstances.
- You should be somewhat comfortable with riding a bicycle if you take part in this tour.
- Bicycle trailer and kid size bikes are also available for rent.
- Comfortable clothing and light packing are recommended for this tour. If necessary you will be able to leave heavier baggage at the starting point of the tour.
- Depending on local weather conditions or unforeseen circumstances the itinerary may change without earlier notice.
- There is a possibility to be flexible with the itinerary in accordance with your request if time and conditions allow for it.