- Visit one of Mt. Aso’s beautiful spring sources and walk the stunning nature
- Harvest vegetables and prepare lunch with local farmers
- Learn about the unique water system born through Japan’s largest active volcano
- Visit “the most embarrassing hot spring” in Japan
- Go behind the scenes and learn about the rare unprocessed production of Shiitake mushroom
Water, the foundation of all life and a key component necessary for humans to thrive. Kumamoto was awarded UN’s prize ‘Water of Life’ in 2013, an acknowledgment of the amazing water system and blessing of nature that makes Kumamoto “The home of the richest groundwater in Japan”. This pure and crystal-clean groundwater exists in large thanks to the unique environment born through the presence of Japan’s largest active volcano, Mt. Aso.
To learn the truth about the water system that provides the people of Kumamoto with natural mineral tap-water we will start by heading to one of the major spring sources located in Minamioguni, Tateiwa suigen. Here we will stroll through the beautiful nature that flourishes thanks to the clean water. We will also meet up with a local farmer with whom we will harvest vegetables and prepare lunch together. And of course, we will also enjoy the food together!
After enjoying a healthy and satisfying lunch we will leave Tateiwa spring source and follow the stream to our next destination. We will make a short stop at the area Mangan-ji which is the origin of Minamioguni that also hosts one of the most beloved local hot springs. Here we will explore the area and dip our feet in Japan’s most embarrassing hot spring before heading off towards or last destination, Shimojo Mushroom Garden.
Our last stop will be at Shimojo Mushroom Garden located in the beautiful and idyllic area Nakabaru. Here we will visit a young farmer who utilizes the abundant water resource to grow Shiitake mushrooms with unprocessed wood, a method that has become very rare in modern Japan. After having been shown around and tasted the exquisite flavorful Shiitake mushrooms he produces we will take the cab to the bus stop (for Kumamoto/Fukuoka) where the tour concludes.
- 09: 30 Meet-up at Kurokawa Onsen Information Center
- ↓Taxi 〜 20 min
- 10:00 – 13:00 Tateiwa spring source, farming experience/lunch
- ↓Taxi 〜 10 min
- 13:10 – 13:40 Explore around Manganji-onsen
- ↓Taxi 〜 15 min
- 14:00 – 15:50 Behind the scenes at Shimojo Mushroom Garden
- ↓Taxi 〜 10 min
- Minamioguni City Hall bus station
|1 person:||32000 yen p.p|
|2 – 3 persons:||24000 yen p.p|
|4 persons:||21000 yen p.p|
- English/Japanese/Swedish-speaking tour conductor
- Local tax
- Transportation costs during the tour (If you arrive by rental care arrangements can be made!)
- Environment preservation fee
Tour does NOT include
- Transportation to and from Minamioguni