- Visit one of Mt. Aso’s beautiful mountain springs and the surrounding village
- Harvest vegetables and prepare lunch with local farmers
- Learn about the unique water system born through Japan’s largest active volcano
- Visit “the most embarrassing hot spring” in Japan
- Learn about Shiitake mushrooms at a real mushroom farm
Water, the foundation of all life and a key component necessary for humans to thrive. Kumamoto was awarded UN’s prize ‘Water of Life’ in 2013, an acknowledgment of the amazing water system and blessing of nature that makes Kumamoto “The home of the richest groundwater in Japan”. This pure and crystal-clean groundwater exists in large thanks to the unique environment born through the presence of Japan’s largest active volcano, Mt. Aso.
To learn the truth about the water system that provides the people of Kumamoto with mineral-rich spring water right from the tap, we will start by heading to one of the less known springs, located in Minamioguni, Tateiwa suigen. Here we will stroll through the beautiful nature that flourishes thanks to the clean water. We will also meet up with a local farmer with whom we will harvest vegetables, prepare lunch, and eat together in an authentic farm-to-table experience.
After enjoying a healthy and satisfying lunch we will leave Tateiwa spring source and follow the stream to our next destination. We will make a short stop at the area Mangan-ji, the oldest settlement of Minamioguni town and home to one of the most beloved local hot springs. Here we will explore the area and dip our feet in Japan’s most embarrassing hot spring before heading off towards our last destination, Shimojo Mushroom Garden.
Our last stop will be at Shimojo Mushroom Garden located in the beautiful and idyllic area Nakabaru. Here we will visit a young farmer who utilizes the abundant water resource to grow Shiitake mushrooms on natural wood, a method that has become very rare in modern Japan. After having been shown around and tasted the exquisite flavorful Shiitake mushrooms, we will see you off safely to the bus stop (for Kumamoto/Fukuoka) where the tour concludes.
- 09: 30 Meet-up at Kurokawa Onsen Information Center
- ↓Car 〜 20 min
- 10:00 – 13:00 Tateiwa spring source, farming experience/lunch
- ↓Car 〜 10 min
- 13:10 – 13:40 Explore around Manganji-onsen
- ↓Car 〜 15 min
- 14:00 – 15:50 Behind the scenes at Shimojo Mushroom Garden
- ↓Car 〜 10 min
- Minamioguni City Hall bus station
|1 person:||25000 yen p.p|
|2 – 3 persons:||18000 yen p.p|
|4 persons:||16000 yen p.p|
- English/Japanese/Swedish-speaking tour conductor
- Local tax
- Transportation costs during the tour (If you arrive by rental car arrangements can be made!)
- Environment preservation fee
Tour does NOT include
- Transportation to and from Minamioguni